MXA PRODUCT TEST:
199 LIVES: THE TRAVIS PASTRANA STORY DVD
WHAT IS IT? A biographical documentary on the one and only Travis Pastrana.
WHAT’S IT COST? $24.99.
CONTACT? www.199lives.com or (888) 873-8423.
WHAT’S IT DO? In the motocross world, there is no shortage of riders willing to do freestyle tricks, crazy stunts and goofy antics for the closest video camera. For all the wannabe heroes, Travis Pastrana is the poster boy for success on both a monetary and emotional level. Whether it’s motocross, freestyle, rally racing, sky diving, base jumping or taking a blow to the groin, Travis takes it to a whole new level.
The standard jump video can’t do Travis justice, and after a series of Nitro Circus videos, Travis decided that it was time to do something different. The “199 Lives” DVD isn’t another jump video. Instead it is a personal look at Travis’ life.
If you think Travis is too young to have a biography, you don’t know Travis very well. At 25 years old, TP has chalked up a list of adventures that puts the lineup of snoozers on A&E Biography to shame. We have always enjoyed Travis’ Nitro Circus videos, but this was produced as a much more engaging look into the world’s greatest stuntman’s life.
WHAT STANDS OUT? Here’s a list of things that stand out with the “199 Lives” DVD.
(1) Footage. Luckily, Travis has been followed by cameras most of his life (it must have been the only way people would believe the stories about him). From home videos of Travis’ first motorcycle ride to point-of-view footage of what it’s like to barrel roll a rally car, the film is not only exciting, but tells a good story.
(2) Interviews. Friends and family tell his life story from their perspective. They shed light on his experiences, and help explain why Travis is Travis.
(3) Length. The 124-minute DVD is long enough to cover all the major events of Travis’ life. We can’t remember a dull moment in the video…or in Travis’ actual life for that matter.
(4) Bonus Features. There are a lot of bonus features, including Travis’ recollections of his top-ten moments, a collection of Travis’ X-Games gold metal performances, a greatest hits section and an X-Games feature section interviewing Travis.
(5) Travis. Most hardcore motocrossers are a little bitter that Travis never fulfilled his motocross potential, but who could stay mad at him? He’s a very likable guy with an upbeat attitude who constantly does death defying things.
WHAT’S THE SQUAWK? We don’t understand what the filmmaker, Gregg Godfrey, is doing in the film. Just stay behind the camera; as an observer, your job is to be our eyes, not a part of the action.
We can’t imagine any motorcycle fan who wouldn’t enjoy the Travis Pastrana story.
Yamaha Motorcycle tests